2016 Rogers Transparency Report

Introduction

This is our fourth annual Transparency Report on the requests for information about our customers we received from government and law enforcement agencies and disclosing our policies and statistics remains very important to Rogers. Globally, the ways in which government and law enforcement agencies access their citizens’ private information was a hot-button issue in 2016, accompanied by a continued focus on how companies safeguard their customers’ information.

It is important to us that our customers know we are steadfast in our dedication to protecting their information – we only disclose it when required by law (including in emergency situations) – and we actively take steps to defend their privacy rights.

We are also committed to contributing to public safety as a good corporate citizen. This report reflects our commitment to respond as quickly and accurately as possible when we are compelled by law to provide information.

We consider it a privilege to act as a voice for our customers in the public discourse on privacy and public safety. It is why we remain active in legislative discussions, ensuring we have a seat at the table to help shape the legal framework.  In 2016, for example, we attended government-led roundtables on access to basic subscriber information and participated in the Government of Canada’s National Security Consultation. This gave us the opportunity to raise concerns about potential changes to basic subscriber information requests, requirements for communications interception, and long-term customer data retention.

Last year we told you about the “Tower Dump” court case, in which we successfully fought a request that could have potentially impacted 30,000 of our customers. We felt the request was too broad. In 2016, we continued to be vigilant with these requests and pushed back against 60% of the “Tower Dump” orders we received, narrowing the requests so that information was only disclosed for about 10% of the customers who were part of the original request.

This year, for the first time, we are reporting the total number of customers impacted by requests for all categories, as we are now able to fully quantify the customer impact of “Tower Dump” requests. The impact of this change results in an increase of about 37,000 requests compared to the previous reporting methodology, however, excluding this change the number of requests has remained relatively stable compared to last year. We have also split out the category of “Rejected or Unable to Provide Information” into two distinct categories, “Rejected” and “Not Available”, to provide even more transparency.

Our Transparency Report is a source of pride for us at Rogers as we strive to protect our customers’ privacy rights, while being a good corporate citizen and contributing to public safety in Canada. We welcome any feedback you may have regarding the report and look forward to working with all of our stakeholders to create a safer and more secure privacy environment.

Sincerely,

David Watt
Chief Privacy Officer

24 responses to “2016 Rogers Transparency Report”

1. Sheila Bishop says:

I’m loving the service with Rogers and enjoy my device and would be great to understand why my life’s been exposed to such stuff without even being told can you help me understand my rights and my exposed to please thanks

2. Raul & Maria Roballo says:

on August 31 they told me they came to my house from 2 to 4 pm and they did not come or call me to cancel the appointment . at 4:15 pm I called Roger and they told me that they had canceled. I did not like the service and I hope they improve it. I’m still with Roger, but not very happy . thanks regard Raul & Maria Roballo

• RogersPaul says:

Hi Raul & Maria, so sorry for the technician appointment mix-up. Where you able to reschedule and get someone out to your home?

3. Joyce Moore says:

Received excellent help with my problem. T
    The lady was very patient.
    At the same time she advised me I could have my service cheaper by changing to Egnite 5.
    No many companies will help in this way to save you money.
    My help was very much appreciated.

4. Jessica Legere says:

Im trying to figure out how to get my rogers bill in details like my home phone call and data usage and evefything else going on my Rogers… can anyone help plz!

5. I HAVE HAD GREAT EXPERIENCES WITH CUSTOMER SUPPORT AND SOME REAL BAD ONES. THE BAD ONES NEED TO LISTEN TO WHAT I’M ASKING ABOUT NOT THERE IDEOLOGY AS TO WHAT I NEED.

6. Jes says:

I signed up with Rogers when the offer for basic was under 25.00.
    This is for elderly my Mom, who is in a Nursing home. The starter package was not given but customer service took initiative to give me a more expensive package I didnt want.
    My mom watches 1 or 2 channels only, she cant operate 2 remote tv controls, she has dementia.
    Please, all i want is simple basic …
    Ive been calling Rogers for days, only to be on hold for hours.
    Im not happy with pushy customer service and loyalty dept. Doesn’t help.
    Basic tv $62.00 per month is way too much money. $12.95 for digital box ?, $2.00 electronic fee, plus HST.
    I have internet and Hd box with upgrade package with another provider for $72.00 includes hst.
    Why is Rogers chaging so much for basic tv only?
    Thank you.

• RogersPaul says:

Hi Jes, thank you for your message and so sorry for the delay in our response. Are you on Twitter or Facebook? If so, tweet @RogersHelps or message facebook.com/Rogers and they can help you right size the TV plan for your mom. You’re also welcome to use live chat at your convenience.

7. Gary Alderson says:

Very happy with your response time and your representative. He helped me through my problem and was very patient.

8. Both Rogers employees that I have talked to lately have been very patient with me and we discussed how I could save on my bill if I would request less service by deleting some programs which I did not use too often.
    Otherwise they were very polite and helpful.
    William Lunny

9. John Frame says:

Disappointed with billing and feble explanations given. I am definatley dumping Rogers at the end of the current month February

Hi John, please contact our customer service team on Twitter @RogersHelps or Facebook.com/Rogers for assistance – I’m sure they’ll be able to help!

10. Alexandra Desjardins says:

The worst service EVER !!!!!!! agent in store never, and i said never give the right information ! customer services .. suppose to be there for helping us but do NOTHING .. i litterally quit rogers and NOT reccomand rogers to anybody . my complain to the CRTC gonna be rude. because in 1 years i NEVER had great services.

Hi Alexandra, kindly contact our customer service team on Twitter @RogersHelps or Facebook.com/Rogers – let’s hope they can make things right!

11. Alwyn Robertson says:

Dear Mr. Watt
    After several fruitless efforts on various Rogers web sites to find the right contact person, I guess I am forced to use this site as my means of communication with the company. I object strenuously to the notifications that I must accept the new terms of agreement with Rogers Yahoo and Oath to collect data on my personal messages, and contacts with friends, associates or companies that I might be researching. There is no opting out of this, which leaves me, as your customer with no options to safeguard or limit my privacy. For this reason, I do not participate on social media sites, and do not wish to agree to the “offer” being presented to me. As a communications company, you are not thinking of your customers first. In this day and age, this is a step backward in safeguarding personal data.

12. tim dooling says:

Absolutely a terrible experience with our latest installation. It is 9 days now without a phone hooked up. Tim Dooling

Hi Tim, sorry to hear about the poor experience. Please contact our customer service team on Twitter @RogersHelps or Facebook.com/Rogers – they’ll be able to investigate.