Rogers Brings First Connected Car Device to Canadian Consumers

New Device Gives Customers Safety Notifications, In-Car Wi-Fi, and Vehicle Diagnostics

TORONTO, July 19, 2017 – Want to make sure your teenager is driving safely to the cottage alone for the first time? Setting off on an epic cross-country road trip with the kids and need to keep them entertained? Today, Rogers launched the first solution of its kind in Canada that helps Share Everything customers keep their car connected worry-free.

“Consumers are looking for more ways to stay connected wherever they are. Of the 24 million cars on Canada’s roads today, over three-quarters don’t have Wi-Fi or any connectivity features,” said Leroy Williams, Vice-President, Rogers Communications. “We’re excited to be the first carrier to introduce this kind of device to Canadians. Now, families can have peace of mind about their car maintenance and safety and can connect to the things and people they love worry-free.”

With this new connected car device, Share Everything customers can:

• Track their car’s location and set alerts to monitor vehicle speed
  • Turn their car into a Wi-Fi hotspot
  • Diagnose car trouble, get maintenance reminders, and be alerted of disturbances, like being hit while parked

“Our popular Share Everything plans just got better,” added Williams. “Now, customers can access information about their car and family member location right at their fingertips no matter where they are. By simply checking the Rogers Smart Drive app, they can know their elderly parent is getting safely to the grocery store or why the ‘check engine’ light turned on. This is the ultimate connected experience for your car.”

Built by ZTE and powered by Mojio’s open platform for connected cars, the Rogers Smart Drive device is compatible with most vehicles built after 1996 and simply plugs into the car’s On Board Diagnostic (OBD-II) port. Customers can purchase the device for $99 on a two-year term and add it to their Share Everything plan for $15/month, plus they get a 1 GB bonus of shareable data for 12 months.

For more information, visit www.rogers.com/smartdrive.

About Rogers
Rogers is a leading diversified Canadian communications and media company that’s working to deliver a great experience to our customers every day. We are Canada’s largest provider of wireless communications services and one of Canada’s leading providers of cable television, high-speed Internet, information technology, and telephony services to consumers and businesses. Through Rogers Media, we are engaged in radio and television broadcasting, sports, televised and online shopping, magazines, and digital media. Our shares are publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: RCI.A and RCI.B) and on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: RCI).

For further information
media@rci.rogers.com
647-747-5118

12 responses to “Rogers Brings First Connected Car Device to Canadian Consumers”

1. Gary says:

Just got mine today. Can’t wait to see what features it has. Kids will be able to use the old iPad in the truck now and I can watch the wife’s driving habits! 😉 Lol and if I get

• RogersPaul says:

That’s great! I’m sure the kids will love to have the same iPad features on the go as they do when connected at home. No comment on the latter benefit 😉 Thank you for your business, Gary!

2. Bruce Hetherington says:

I have been with Rogers since 1996 ( Halifax Reginald Municipally ) and in 2004 when HRM dropped Rogers and went to Bell I kept the Rogers because it was the best. I think with the new service you should give it to your long time customers. I would love to have WiFi in my car but I don’t think I should have to pay for it.

Thanks for being such a loyal customer, Bruce! We appreciate the feedback and will pass it along internally.

3. Kristopher De Caigny says:

Got mine today! Something that I would like is the WiFi to turn off when you turn the Car Off.

That way when I get home my phone isn’t connected to my car – thus going to my Home/Work WiFi

Good morning, Kristopher! I believe the Rogers Smart Drive device goes into sleep mode approximately 30 minutes after the engine is turned off.

4. Have mine installed for the last couple
    of days, and love it! Was just wondering if the data is being compressed differently when using the hotspot or is it the same as using your mobile device?

Otherwise I have to agree with one other client of yours, long time customers should be able to receive this device as no extra charge or at least up the data volume to 5GB free, as 1GB is not really worth mentioning, not in 2017!

• RogersPaul says:

Great to hear Oliver! I’ve learned that data is rated the same, there is no special treatment or compression. I’ve shared your thoughts on data volume and options for our long time customers with the product owner. Thank you for your business!

5. Josh Churchill says:

When I asked one of the agents in your store what else can this device do, the agent said that this device can monitor and alert the driver if the driver drives too close to the car in front of it and/or if the car moves out of it’s lane. Is this really true or just a sales talk?
    Please confirm.

6. Inayat says:

Is share everything plan is required for this device or not