Episode 4: How Do I Stand Out?
The number-one concern of new employees we spoke to, among those entering their first or second job, was knowing how to stand out in order to advance their career.
But this is not just a challenge for young workers. Mid to senior career employees can experience the same issue, feeling stuck at work, due to anxiety, introversion or a lack of confidence.
- May Busch, a former finance executive, recounts her experience with exactly this frustration, and how she overcame it.
- Laura Huang, author of Edge, explains how hard work isn’t always enough to stand out. It’s about influencing other people’s underlying perceptions of you. @LauraHuangLA @HarvardHBS
- HR experts Avery Francis and Jennifer L’Heureux outline what the traits and behaviours – alongside qualifications – are that progressive companies look for in employees they promote – and keep. @AveryFrancis @buildwithbloom
- Olga Khazan, author of Weird, talks about how to stand out as an introvert. @olgakhazan
- Ron Heifetz discusses how practising adaptive leadership can help you stand out. @RonHeifetz @Kennedy_School