Citytv Garners Double-Digit Audience Growth and Market Share Increases During Fall Premiere Week
TORONTO, Oct. 2, 2012 /CNW/ – With more comedies, more dramas, and more destination viewing, Citytv’s momentum continues with double-digit audience growth and market share increases across the country in key demos during fall premiere week.
From September 24 to 30, Citytv gained 22 per cent market share nationally (P2+) over last year’s premiere week, with a year-over-year audience increase of 34 per cent in total P2+ audiences, and 44 per cent in the key A25-54 demographic.
“Without a doubt, this is Citytv’s strongest – and most competitive – prime-time schedule in network history. And the viewers clearly agree,” said Scott Moore, President, Broadcasting, Rogers Media. “With Citytv’s expanded footprint, we are now in more than nine million homes, reaching more viewers than ever before, and our goal of delivering our world-class content to a national audience is firmly within our grasp.”
Added Malcolm Dunlop, Executive Vice-President of Programming and Operations, Broadcast, Rogers Media: “With some of the highest rated and most anticipated new and returning series of the fall, Citytv has proved it is more than a regional network, and has levelled the playing field in the Canadian television landscape.”
Citytv Fall Premiere Series Highlights:
- The season premiere of sophomore comedy 2 Broke Girls on Monday evening attracted the highest overnight audience for a comedy in Citytv history with 1.3 million viewers (2+) – a 42 per cent increase over the series premiere – and won its timeslot in all key demos (A25-54, A18-29, and A18-34)
- New dramatic series Revolution premiered on Monday, Sept. 17 with a 993,000 average audience (P2+), winning the timeslot nationally
- On Thursday evening, sophomore drama Person of Interest attracted the highest overnight ratings to-date for the series (1.1 million, P2+), up 31 per cent from the series premiere
- Hot off its Emmy® sweep, Modern Family attracted an average of 1.04 million viewers (P2+) – the best overnight airing in the hit comedy’s history – and was up 38 per cent nationally from last year’s premiere
Citytv Fall Premiere Ratings Highlights Night-By-Night:
- Sunday’s prime-time lineup is up 94 per cent (P2+) over last year’s premiere week (Sunday)
- Monday night’s prime-time lineup is up 59 per cent over the 2011 premiere week (Monday) nationally among total P2+ audiences and the key A25-54 demographic
- Tuesday night’s prime-time lineup is up 45 per cent (P2+) over last year’s premiere week (Tuesday) with sophomore comedy New Girl up 11 per cent (P2+) nationally from the 2011 series premiere
- Wednesday night comedies continue to see a ratings rise with The Middle up 40 per cent nationally (P2+) and 57 per cent in the key A25-54 demographic year-over-year
- Thursday’s prime-time schedule is up 27 per cent (P2+) over last year’s premiere week (Thursday), with sophomore drama Person of Interest up 16 per cent nationally (A25-54) from the series premiere
Citytv™ television stations in Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Saskatchewan offer viewers intensely-local, urban-oriented, culturally-diverse television programming. A distinct alternative to other conventional television stations, Citytv engages its viewers with dynamic on-air personalities and delivers an entertaining mix of news, local-interactive formats such as: Breakfast Television and Cityline; as well as local Canadian and US acquired prime time entertainment programming. Citytv is a part of Rogers Broadcasting Limited, a division of Rogers Communications Inc. (TSX: RCI and NYSE: RCI) which is a diversified Canadian communications and media company. For more information on Citytv stations and programming, visit www.Citytv.com
Source: BBM Canada, September 17 and week of September 24-September 30, 2012, overnight data. Total Canada AMA. All comparisons made to Live + Same Day Playback data for 2011.
SOURCE: Rogers Media Inc.