Each For Equal: Sportsnet Celebrates International Women’s Day, March 2 to 8
– Week-long IWD campaign culminates with NHL game called by all-female broadcast team: Cassie Campbell-Pascall, Leah Hextall and Christine Simpson –
Join the conversation:#UnitedBySport | #IWD2020
TORONTO (February 27, 2020) Sportsnet is recognizing International Women’s Day (IWD) with a week-long celebration, shining the national spotlight on the outstanding contributions made by female athletes, broadcasters, and builders in the world of sports.
Sportsnet’s multiplatform campaign, airing March 2 to 8, includes daily features, exclusive interviews, and original columns that celebrate female sports trailblazers such as the NHL’s Cammi Granato and Kim Davis, tennis’s Billie Jean King and Stacey Allaster, NBA’s Teresa Resch and the WNBA’s Kayla Alexander (see full list below). The campaign concludes on Sunday, March 8 at 6:30 p.m. ET/3:30 p.m. PT with a special Rogers Hometown Hockey broadcast as the Vegas Golden Knights vs. Calgary Flames game will be called by an all-female broadcast team: play-by-play announcer Leah Hextall, game analyst Cassie Campbell-Pascall, and reporter Christine Simpson.
Sunday’s broadcast will be produced by a female production team live from Calgary, Toronto and Salmon Arm, BC, including Rogers Hometown Hockey executive producer Alison Redmond, game producer Maria Skinner, and director Dawn Landis. Sportsnet has also partnered with the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology to provide opportunities for female students to shadow key production roles in person during Sunday’s broadcast.
“International Women’s Day is an opportunity to inspire young women and put a spotlight on what is possible, while encouraging continued conversation and action to overcome gender-based barriers for women in the workplace,” said Redmond. “I’m proud to work with highly talented women, whose skill, experience and perspective allow us to deliver sports programming at its best.”
International Women’s Day coverage on Sportsnet includes:
“The Trailblazers” Features – TV & Sportsnet social platforms
- Kim Ng – MLB | Senior Vice President, Baseball Operations
- Teresa Resch – NBA | Director of Basketball Operations, Toronto Raptors
- Kendall Coyne Schofield & Rebecca Johnston – Olympians | Women’s Hockey
- Kim Davis – NHL | Executive Vice President, Growth Initiatives & Legislative Affairs
- Stacey Allaster – USTA | Chief Executive, Professional Tennis
- Cammi Granato & Alexandra Mandrycky – NHL | Seattle expansion builders
- Billie Jean King – 39-time Grand Slam winner | 1987 International Tennis Hall of Fame inductee
- Bev Smith – 2-time Olympian | Canadian Basketball Hall of Fame inductee
Original Columns & Interviews – Sportsnet.ca
- Q&A with WNBA’s Kayla Alexander
- Column – Meet the women striving to be the first female NHL referee
- Q&A with 3-time Olympic gold-medallist Marnie McBean
- Column – How female minds are pushing the boundaries of hockey analytics
- Q&A with NLL Deputy Commissioner Jessica Berman
- Column – How the Seattle expansion franchise is revolutionizing NHL hiring
- Column – The under-18 tournament that launched Meghan Agosta’s Olympic career
Social Media Links
Official website, Sportsnet sportsnet.ca
Like Sportsnet Facebook.com/Sportsnet
Follow Sportsnet on Twitter @Sportsnet
Follow Sportsnet on Instagram @Sportsnet
Follow Sportsnet PR @SportsnetPR
Sportsnet is Canada’s #1 sports network. Uniting Canadians through sport, Sportsnet’s multimedia offerings include Sportsnet (consisting of 4 regional channels: East, Ontario, West, and Pacific), Sportsnet ONE, Sportsnet 360, Sportsnet World, the Sportsnet Radio Network, Sportsnet.ca, Sportsnet NOW, SN NOW+, the Sportsnet app, and podcasts. Sportsnet is the official Canadian NHL national multiplatform rights holder, and is the regional broadcaster for the Vancouver Canucks, Calgary Flames, Edmonton Oilers, and Toronto Maple Leafs. Sportsnet also has extensive coverage of the Toronto Blue Jays and Toronto Raptors, as well as NBA, MLB, Grand Slam of Curling, Rogers Cup, CHL, IndyCar, WWE, Premier League, and FA Cup. Sportsnet is part of Rogers Sports & Media, which is a subsidiary of Rogers Communications Inc. (TSX, NYSE: RCI). Visit Sportsnet.ca.