Stanley Cup Playoffs and Sportsnet Programming Reaches 13.2 Million Canadians on Super Saturday
TORONTO (April 17, 2017) Big day in sports draws big audiences with 37% of Canadians tuning in to programming on Sportsnet and CBC this past Saturday for Stanley Cup Playoffs, Raptors Playoffs, Blue Jays, and the Grand Slam of Curling: Players’ Championship.
“We take great pride in being able to consistently deliver the widest variety of world-class sporting events to fans across the country. Sportsnet has the platforms and partnerships, the content, and the expertise to help Canadians embrace their passion for sports,” said Scott Moore, President, Sportsnet & NHL Properties, Rogers Media.
The biggest draw on Saturday was the Stanley Cup Playoffs, with the three games featuring Canadian teams and the pre-game show ranking as the Top 4 programs of the day on Canadian television:
- Toronto Maple Leafs @ Washington Capitals – average audience of 3.64 million viewers (produced by Sportsnet on CBC)
- Audiences peaked at 5.34 million at the start of double overtime
- Calgary Flames @ Anaheim Ducks – average audience of 1.34 million viewers (CBC)
- Boston Bruins @ Ottawa Senators – average audience of 1.03 million viewers (Sportsnet)
- Hockey Central pre-game show – average audience of 1.34 million viewers (Sportsnet and CBC)
In addition to the NHL, Canadians made Sportsnet their sports destination of choice, also tuning in to MLB, NBA, and Curling:
- Baltimore Orioles @ Toronto Blue Jays – average audience of 574,000 viewers (Sportsnet ONE)
- Milwaukee Bucks @ Toronto Raptors – average audience of 451,000 viewers (Sportsnet ONE)
- Grand Slam of Curling – Players’ Championship women’s quarter-finals – average audience of 122,000 viewers (Sportsnet 360)
Stanley Cup Playoffs action continues tonight with four games featuring Toronto, Ottawa, and Calgary all in action. Visit Sportsnet.ca for programming details.
TV Sources: Numeris; Apr 12-15/17; Sportsnet channels & RSPN (CBC); Ind.2+ AMA & Reach; Total Canada.
Sportsnet is Canada’s #1 sports media brand, connecting Canadian sports fans to their favourite teams and athletes. Delivering storytelling on a local, regional, national and global level, the multiplatform brand consists of Sportsnet, sportsnet.ca, Sportsnet 590 The FAN, Sportsnet 960 The FAN, Sportsnet NOW, and the Sportsnet app. Sportsnet consists of four regional channels (Sportsnet East, Ontario, West and Pacific), and the nationally-distributed Sportsnet ONE, Sportsnet 360, and Sportsnet World. Sportsnet is the official Canadian NHL national multimedia rights holder, and is also the official regional television broadcast rights holder for the Calgary Flames (including radio rights on Sportsnet 960 The FAN), Edmonton Oilers, Toronto Maple Leafs (including radio rights on Sportsnet 590 The FAN), Vancouver Canucks and Montreal Canadiens. Sportsnet also has exclusive TV & radio coverage of all 162 Blue Jays games, as well as other MLB games, Toronto Raptors, NBA, Grand Slam of Curling, Rogers Cup, CHL, IndyCar, and extensive soccer programming including Premier League, Bundesliga, FA Cup and 2018 FIFA World Cup European Qualifiers.