Top 5 cyber tips to keep in mind when online holiday shopping this year
Online shopping has never been so convenient and enjoyable – with just a click of a button you can purchase anything, anywhere, anytime of the day. With online transactions, it’s also important to be cyber savvy and look out for any signs of identity theft and credit card fraud. To get the most out of your online shopping experience, here are five online safety tips:
1. Think before you click: Avoid clicking on enticing links, attachments, and pop-ups in your emails, apps or websites – and always report phishing immediately. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.
2. Keep your credit card and personal information private: Avoid saving your credit card information when purchasing online as it could expose you to potential data breaches and fraud.
3. Stay vigilant when using public Wi-Fi: Cyber criminals may be able to tap into public Wi-Fi to access your personal information or spread malware. Avoid using public Wi-Fi when accessing any sensitive information such as banking or online shopping.
4. Enable MFA whenever possible: Using MFA (Multi-Factor Authentication) adds an additional layer of security for your online accounts, by requiring you to enter your username & password and a second form of validation such as a verification code.
5. Keep your passwords long and strong: Always set strong and unique pa$5w0rds for each account. Consider using passphrases, or short acronym sentences with numbers and special characters, when possible, to increase security.
Remember these tips, shop smart and stay cyber safe!